Mealtime Favorites: Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
This is one of our absolute favorite cold-weather, family friendly recipes - and unlike traditional Mac and cheese, this version is a guilt-free toddler meal thanks to sneaking in some veggies!
- 1/2 Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and chopped peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups Pasta (elbows or penne are always a good choice!)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 and 1/2 Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees, place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packaging, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the flour to form a roux, stir continuously for about 2 minutes.
- Add milk a little at a time, keep stirring/whisking continuously between each pour. Stir out any lumps before adding more milk. Continue adding the milk little by little until all the milk is incorporated and the sauce is thick and glossy.
- Take the sauce off the heat and add one cup of the cheese.
- Blend the sauce and pumpkin together and then mix through the pasta. Place in an oven proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake for around 15-20 minutes (until the top is bubbling and golden).
[image from Babyfoode.com]