Mealtime Favorites: Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
One of our favorite meals this time of year, when it's extra chilly in New England, is grilled cheese - it's fast, easy, & something that can be eaten by the whole family once your little one has experimented with solids and shows comfort.
This recipe is great because it's easy but it also sneaks in some cauliflower and egg, making it a more balanced meal for baby than just your traditional bread-and-cheese grilled cheese.
Spotted originally on Delish.com, this is a family friendly meal that can be pulled together in a pinch - and also gets little ones involved in the kitchen! It's great for those hectic days when making more than one meal just isn't an option (which for us, is everyday)!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup, finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon, oregano
- 1 1/2 cup, shredded white Cheddar
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower.
- In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. [This is a great way to get little ones involved!]
- Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. (These are your “bread” slices.) Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Top one cauliflower slice with cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Recipe & photo from delish.com