Mealtime Favorites: Overnight Oats
One of our go-to make ahead meals is overnight oats - they're super fast, easy to prepare ahead of time, and can be eaten in the morning, before a nap as a snack, or before bed as a part of dinner or pre-bedtime snack.
While we aren't pediatric dietitians, oats are packed with fiber, helping your little ones belly stay longer fuller, and supporting healthy digestion. And this meal lets your little one get involved: set out some healthy toppings and let your little one add in some extra treats! Try fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, or granola - see below for some of our favorite add-ins, and how to make this super easy, family friendly meal!
- ½ cup organic rolled oats
- ¾ milk of your choice
- Place oats, milk, and sweetener of choice in an airtight container (like a glass mason jar)
- Gently shake - ensure ingredients are fully combined
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hours
- Top with your favorite add-ins and enjoy
Here are some of our favorite add-ins to throw into your overnight oats rotation:
- Peanut butter + cacoa nibs
- Baked apple pieces & cinnamon
- Nutella & banana slices
- Peanut butter & crushed raspberries for PB & J oats
- Strawberry jam & 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
[photo from MinimalistBaker.com]